Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Celestial Potentates

It would seem to me…that all candidates for the office of President of the United States must profess some kind of religion. ‘We the people’, the voting public, have sort of made this a requirement (unfortunately).

However, most of us, who profess a liberal understanding of religion, recognize that religions of all kinds are reactions to death or ignorance, and usually date from the childhood of our species, when we didn't know better.

The world (I think) would be so much better off if more people could bring themselves to reject those celestial potentates and realize we are out here on our own. That we must learn to rely on each other, not a sky-god.

I am fearful when I hear candidates say they want to ‘lead the country back to Christ’, or that profess a religion that believes a resurrected Jesus lived for some time in North America. Such profession of belief in religious dogma worries me. Causes me to have concern about motive and intelligence.

How do we as a people move past this delusional status and reliance on celestial potentates?


Perhaps if the Church would embrace the concept of intellectual honesty, that would be a start, but I don’t look for that to happen very soon.

But then I could be wrong……………. barry e

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions