Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Science Standards for Florida?

Hard to believe that in this day and age there would be so much controversy over teaching evolution in our schools, but that’s the situation we find ourselves in here in Florida. The state Board of Education is to vote next Tuesday (Feb. 19th) on whether or not evolution will be included in the state’s new science standards.

The proposed standards say evolution is the “fundamental concept underlying all of biology” and is “supported by multiple forms of scientific evidence. This position is supported by scores of scientific societies, including the National Academy of Sciences, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the National Science Teachers Associations.

Last night in a public hearing in Orlando, forty-five of seventy speakers were OPPOSED to the changes that would include evolution in the science curriculum.

When I hear people argue that creationism and/or intelligent design are equally valid theories I shake my head in disgust and wonder how they can be so uninformed, but then I remind myself that, that is what the Church has taught them.

I have no doubt the Church knows better. I have no doubt the Church Academic has taught evolution for decades… So where are the voices of the Church? The voices that could squelch the ignorant and the uninformed opposition to the teaching of evolution?

They are silent…afraid…unwilling to lead,... and again I shake my head in disgust.

No comments: